Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Everything is better with garlic


If you've been spending much time around the farmers markets these days, chances are you've seen a pile of these on a table somewhere. Garlic scapes are just about my favorite thing of late spring. I was introduced to them a few years ago by my CSA.



So what are garlic scapes? They're the part of the garlic that shoots out of the bulb. Generally, they are cut off so that they don't divert energy away from creating a plump garlic bulb. Most gardeners or commercial growers toss them in the compost heap, what a waste! If you're ever growing garlic at home or are lucky enough to spot them at the market take the opportunity to get to know them!

Since garlic is pretty much my favorite thing year round, it makes sense that I'd be partial to these versatile curly green stalks. They are great cooked or raw. You can add them to just about any dish that requires garlic for a little bit of crunch and mild garlic flavor without the bitterness sometimes associated with raw garlic. It also is much easier to saute these without burning as opposed to minced garlic.

They make a fantastic pesto just on their own or as a supplement to a regular basil pasta in place of the garlic you'd normally put in. If using a food processor requires too much effort, just saute them with any veggies you're already planning for dinner. Or you can do what I did today and toss some in guacamole in place of the garlic. My master guac recipe is based on Alton's and is always a huge hit.

I also added a bunch to our salad of fresh greens from our garden. It made the salad super exciting. To top it off I added the leftover red onion from the guacamole, dill from the garden, and some chevre picked up from the farmers market. A Very Exciting Salad Indeed. I highly suggest adding fresh dill to your salad any time you have the chance. The herb salad mixes from Trader Joe's turned me on to the idea, and now I don't make a salad without some addition of herbs. It makes every bite exciting, and when you're eating salads as frequently as you should, it helps to keep them interesting.

Do not use dried dill! It won't be the same. If you don't have easy access to fresh dill just pick up the mix. It is pretty much the only lettuce mix I buy that doesn't consistently end its life as a slimy mess in the bottom of the bag in my crisper drawers.

Appetizing, I know.  I think I have a real talent for food blogging. The other day I regaled you with stories of a toddler drinking activated charcoal and the resultant poop and now I'm on to rotting food.

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment