Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On watching Lady and the Tramp 100 times

There's finally been a respite from Caillou in our house. Thank god. Caillou is fine for the most part, but there are two versions of the show.

There's the version that Lola loves, which generally has three short episodes fit into a half hour segment, and a short 'learning' sequence at the end where they review something learned in the episode.

Then there is the other version.  It has several episodes as well but they are punctuated with live action puppet sequences and the voice actor for Caillou is different and much more grating.

I can't tell the difference in the opening sequence or the descriptions for these but Lola can as soon as the music starts.

And if its the puppet version god help us.



SHRIEK!
"NO MAMA, IT'S THE SCARY CAILLOU! NO NO NO TURN IT OFF NO NO NO NO NO"

Her bedtime routine includes a little wind down time watching tv and the shrieking totally put a damper on it.

Luckily, she has taken a shine to Lady and the Tramp and that is the new preferred bedtime viewing.

It may be my favorite Disney movie, hard to say, but it definitely has held up over the past month in which I've watched it everyday. Sometimes twice.

However, all of this viewing has led to a lot of research to keep me interested:

  • I've paused the dvd and tried to read the articles in the newspaper that Lady brings to Jim Dear with a hole ripped through the middle. 
  • I've taken note of the fact that "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is advertised as playing at the local opera house in the scene outside the italian restaurant.
  • I've researched the story development and production. (There was a big break while the studio put out war propaganda during WWII)  
  • I've read about Peggy Lee and her involvement, including downloading a biography to my kindle. (She was the voice of Darling and wrote all of the songs save one!)
  • I found a site with Lady and the Tramp fan fiction, however I was too afraid to read. I don't think I could handle Lady and the Tramp slash. 
  • I've done all sorts of internet research trying to figure out if the crazy beaker like baby bottles they feature are historically accurate, but surprisingly no one else seems to be as concerned with this as I am.  I was able to ascertain that bottles like this did exist but I wasn't able to pinpoint the dates so I don't know if they were closer to what they used in the 40's and 50's when the film was animated or if they were true to the story's 1909 time period.

So, this is what my life has come to.

I actually don't mind it. The soundtrack of Lady and the Tramp is pretty great.
I hum "He's a Tramp" pretty frequently. The song holds up.

2 comments:

  1. Between 1850 and 1950, the feeding bottle gave into the demands of modern society, which called for products that were tough, practical and inexpensive. Invented in 1860, the long-tube feeding bottle responded to this demand: the glass flask equipped with a rubber tube allowed the infant to more or less feed itself! Although initially acclaimed for its practical nature, this ‘killer tube’ was banned in 1910 as it proved a real breeding ground for bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats where i got it from https://www.alimentarium.org/en/magazine/history/history-baby-bottles

    ReplyDelete